Thursday, September 1, 2011

September

September always makes me think of my Grandma. I don't know if its because this month is the anniversary of her "graduation day" (the day she went to be with Jesus), or those clear, high 70 degree days that fill September ... there is something about those days that I can almost sense her presence. Regardless, year after year, September brings memories.

I also just started reading a book by Patti Davis (Reagan's daughter) called "A long Goodbye." A book of her thoughts and happenings during her father's death and his journey through Alzheimer's disease (the same thing that took my Grandma). Obviously, only spurring my thoughts of Grandma. Davis claims that even though the disease took away her father's memories, and, ultimately, his life, it didn't seem to change his soul. Something I recall of Grandma: the more she lost herself to Alzheimer's, the more the Christ-like "glow" could be seen in her love of her family, children, her servants heart, her peace...

Since I became a wife and mother, there are many times I wish... I so wish I could sit and share my heart, my prayers, my life with her to seek her wisdom and, I'm sure, perfect practical advice. And often I feel like I probably already know her responses and her encouragement but I am really longing for her presence. Being one of the younger grandchildren, my time with her was short, but her influence, her love was felt. And the more I'm drawn to my memories of her, the more I'm drawn to the Lord, her Lord and mine. Her life was a testimony of His grace and those times I wish to know what Grandma would say or think, I find Christ. Her example of a godly wife and mother, sister, friend, and daughter of God, pushes me to seek Him, to find myself in Him, and hopefully emulate the same light Grandma did.

Thankful for my heritage. Thankful for September.


1 comment:

  1. She once pointed out to me that the Morning Glories on the east side of the farm house opened only when the sunlight hit them...."and that is just like us when the Son shines on us. "

    I too miss that woman.

    ReplyDelete