Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Whatcha got Cooking ...

Most of my posts are about Amelia. Obviously, she is the biggest part of what I am doing and more interesting (and cuter, I might add) than anything else. But lately, I've been a little more busy outside of my mommy role and thought I'd give a quick update on ME ... if you are interested :) come back, and next time I'm promise more crazy Amelia stories.

1. A couple weekends ago, I had my first catering job. A friend was having a Artisan/Antique Market with a large group of helpers. Some advice and food suggestions soon turned into a job offer. I loved it: planning a menu, considering options to stay within budget, spending 2 whole days cooking away. Hoping another opportunity comes along sometime.

2. I also taught a cooking class last Saturday. The youth group was having a special weekend and the girls got to come over here for a quick cooking lesson and some kitchen tips. That was a little awkward at first but I hear they all enjoyed it and got lots of good information. I made muffins before so we could eat, chat, and share some quick baking tips. Muffins are good also to suggest add ins or ingredient swaps to make recipes your own. At the request of the group, we made homemade chicken fettuccine alfredo. Some of the things I shared: how to hold/use a knife, how to get rid of onion/garlic smell on your hands, how to handle a kitchen burn, meat searing, deglazing, and a basic understanding of sauce-making.

3. Lasting, I've had fun trying some new recipes and making some up myself. My newest one: Steak pot-pie. Yes, not terribly different or creative but since my husband is picky and also allergic to chicken, I tried a different combination of things and put this together. The main ingredients were steak (clearly), zucchini, and carrots in a rich sauce. It got rave reviews.


2 comments:

  1. I want some of what James is having!!!
    Dad Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to sit in on one of your cooking classes! :)

    ReplyDelete